Sunday, September 6, 2009

Rocky Gap and my first canoe trip

Scenic Sunday, you can click on the Scenic Sunday link to see more wonderful scenes.








I can not imagine how I got as old as I am and never been canoeing. Not that I am saying I am old because I am NOT. Maybe, because I was scared silly about the canoe overturning? Well, today I canoed for the first time at Rocky Gap State Park in Maryland. At the boat rental building you had your choice of a canoe, one person kayak, two person kayak and a paddle boat. They also had a pontoon boat ride. We rented the canoe for an hour and we like it so much we stayed out for two hours. We canoed our way around much of the lake and into some coves. There was one time my hubby wanted to hand me the binoc's and I got a little over excited about the canoe rocking but all went well and we didn't take a dip in the lake. Big sigh of relief!

I was hoping to see birds around the shoreline but all we saw were some Mallard ducks. I could hear some Chickadees, Catbirds and some Nuthatches in the woods along the shore. No matter where I am I can always see some Turkey Vultures flying in the skies above.



We must have seen 30-40 mallard ducks along the lake shore.



We were not the only people with the idea of going to Rocky Gap State park. I think with it being Labor Day weekend a lot of people had the same idea of enjoying the park, lake, cookouts and the good weather. After canoeing we walked part of the lake loop trail and we could see good views of the beach and scenery around the resort.









Along the lake loop they had an avairy and being a birder I had to stop and check it out. They had a Black Vulture, two Red Tailed Hawks, Two Barred Owls, Two Barn Owls, a Screech Owl and a Great Horned Owl. I wanted to take pic's but the wired cages made it difficult. I did try a shot of the Barn Owls only because I just love Owls.





The resort had a very nice garden for the birds and butterflies. I noticed many berry bushes and butterfly bushes planted and a pond. There were hummingbird feeders and regular bird feeders. I thought it was cool that the resort had such a nice wildlife garden.







Now, that I have been canoeing and can feel safe, I'm sure hubby and I will be back to Rocky Gap.

More senery pic's from Rocky gap





8 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenes!!
    Thanks for passing by!

    /christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun outing you ended up having! I have never been canoeing either, but it is something I would love to do! Thanks for sharing these great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are amazing beauty of nature! thanks for sharing and the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely way to spend the day. Congratulations on canoeing, it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Looks like you had a grand trip! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never canoed either - as a confirmed landlubber I share your fears, but your post has given my pause for thought and I can see some of what I'm missing. Great shots despite your watery misgivings!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thank you for visiting my blog. I always appreciate your comments.

BTW, Anonymous comments unless a name is included will not be published. Also, comments with links will be deleted.

Have a happy day, Eileen

Happy Monday!

Wishing everyone a great day and a ha ppy new week! "One small positive thought in the morning can change your whole day." "T...